Wednesday, August 18, 2010

So many ways the world could end...

I love speculative dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction. The Road was one of the best films I've seen in a while. Delightfully grisly and dark. I also like older ones like The Stand. My favourite books include The Handmaid's tale, Oryx and Crake & Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood; 1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World and Island by Aldous Huxley.In fact there are loads of others too, but those are just the ones I can remember right now.

I find it hard to write speculative or post apocalyptic fiction though. My biggest difficulty seems to lie with the specifics of what goes wrong with the current world, and why. Not that I think everything is rosy and we're heading into a bright future - the opposite, in fact. The way I see it, there are so many scary possibilities, it's hard to pick just one.

Which way will the world end or change forever? Environmental destruction, religious dictatorship, fascist dictatorship, nuclear accidents, scientific experiments gone wrong...the list is long and slightly overwhelming.

There, isn't that a nice optimistic post before I go to bed? Haha. Sorry! Lots of opportunities for great fiction - I just hope they stay fictional. And that I manage to write some of them.

1 comment:

christopher hale said...

The Road was one of the best films I've seen in a while. Delightfully grisly and dark. I also like older ones like The Stand. Assignment Help
assignment help and get free from your academic stress.