Saturday, August 21, 2010

Each house has its own insect population

It's true. I have no idea why, but each house seems to be home to particular insects far more than others.

The last house I lived in - fruit flies. Yucky little things that meant I had to leave a piece of tissue over a wine glass at all times or they would start dive bombing it and drowning.

This house - moths. Thankfully not the big scary fat-bodied creepy ones, but the little ones, that eat your clothes.

The houses are only a few miles from each other, so I have no idea where this diversity in insect population comes from. The old house also had a lot of other sorts of flies, which may have been because it was beside a farm, but I don't know if that explains the fruit flies.

There also seem to be a lot of wasps in the new house. Not sure why that is either, but thankfully they're quite slow and stupid, and I've been almost enjoying swatting them with catalogues and magazines. I may not be allergic to wasp stings, but I sure don't like them.

4 comments:

Em said...

First of all, ew. Secondly, evil! Wasps are alright. We have carpet beetles here. Now they are disgusting.

Joleen said...

Wasps are evil. But I am quite good at killing them! :-) I don't think we have carpet beetles. I'm not sure what they are.

Em said...

Think I've complained about the horrible buggers before on the Lost World. Here's what they look like: http://pestcontrolcanada.com/Carpet%20Beetle1.jpg

Joleen said...

Ew. Yeah, I think you have mentioned them actually. Gross.